Saturday, November 17, 2012

You & I and the Difference

I mentioned in a previous post that it is difficult to describe hearing loss in 
a neat package. It is hard to give a whole picture in just a few short words. 
So, I wanted to try and paint another picture of what it can be like to have
hearing loss. I can't speak for everyone else, but this is what it's like for me.

You wake up to music playing on your clock radio. 
I wake up to a vibration under my pillow.

You hear the water hit the tub as you shower.
I feel the water on my skin.

You hear your children, and know that they are laughing.
I hear my children, and need to see that they are not hurt.

You hear laughter and giggling.
I see eyes and lips smiling.

You  hear someone knock at your door.
My children alert me when someone arrives. 

You hear the birds chirping and singing nearby.
I see birds take flight and sit in the birdbath. 

You feel the wind blowing in your hair.
I hear it roaring like the sea in my ears.

While in a parking lot, you hear a car's engine.
I see the brake lights. 

You walk confidently.
I step cautiously. 

You hear a person clearly, and respond appropriately.
I hear syllables, and ask the person to repeat what they said.

You listen for your children.
I watch for mine. 

You hear an oven beeper going off, signaling that dinner is ready.
I carefully watch the clock and smell the aromas drifting. 

You carry on a conversation while washing dishes.
I must stop washing, turn to the person speaking, and read their lips.

You settle in for an evening of television.
I watch the captions as they pass over my screen.

While laying in bed in the dark, you make small talk with your spouse.
I ask mine if there is anything I need to hear before I take out my hearing aids.

You and your spouse exchange I love you's before turning over to sleep.
My husband and I make the sign for I love you, and press our hands together. 

This describes some typical situations during an ordinary day of my life. 
Many hard of hearing folks experience similar situations, but still, each
person is different and unique. And, what might be for one individual, 
will not necessarily be for another. I'm just trying to paint a clearer picture 
for better understanding. 








  

No comments:

Post a Comment