Saturday, November 17, 2012

Intro to Homeschool

I haven't typed anything about homeschooling. 
Yet, it takes up most of my day, almost every day. 
It is the reason that if you drop by my house unannounced, 
you'll likely find it less then perfect. 
It is the reason that, when I begin to clean vigorously,
 my children instinctively ask, "Who's coming over?" 
It is the reason why I keep wine in my fridge at all times. 
(And, you're probably wondering, "Is she kidding, or not?")

I began homeschooling in 2005. 
I didn't plan it that way. No. I was your typical mom.
My son and I got the snazzy Thomas the Train backpack
with matching lunch box. We got the extra pair of sneakers
for gym class. I dreamed of having homemade chocolate chip 
cookies and milk set out for him when he arrived 
home from school. But, that is not how it was to be. 

Instead, as problems kept cropping up for my son at school, 
I began to hear God whispering into my heart, "Homeschool". 
My response was: "Yeah, I cleaned some houses for some 
ladies that homeschooled their kids, that was nice. But, Lord, 
this is ME you're talking to; and I wouldn't even know 
where to begin!"

Well, it just so happened that while I was at a crossroads about
the matter, I met a homeschool mom at our local library. I knew
that God had put her there for a reason. She used to be a teacher, 
and she happened to be from the same state as I. She was very
knowledgeable, and answered any questions I had about homeschooling.
That is when I made up my mind to follow God's calling for me 
to homeschool. 


Is it easy? No. 
Is it worth it? I think so. 
Am I trying to shelter my children? Not really.
Only from what children shouldn't know before they're 
ready to understand. 
Do I think that I can do better then a school teacher? 
Yes. Nobody else will teach my children one-on-one.
A teacher will not have compassion or love for my child 
the way that I do. 
Do I think that teachers are bad? No, absolutely not. 
Do I think that all parents should homeschool? 
Are you kidding me? No. Not all parents are meant to 
homeschool their child. 

Homeschool is hard work. 
It takes commitment. 
It takes sacrifice. 
It is a huge responsibility. 
Sometimes, it can be costly.

Homeschooling means:
*possibly having a messy house part or all of the time.
*not having much time to spend by yourself. 
*not being able to go at a moment's notice to hang
  out with a friend or go shopping.
*maybe making financial sacrifices.

But, it also means:
*watching your children grow each day.
*growing closer as a family.
*knowing who your child's friends are.
*ensuring their safety. 
*teaching them about appropriate subjects at the appropriate time.
*allowing them to explore and learn about what they find fascinating
*and if you're a Christian, nurturing them to have a relationship with Christ. 

I believe that each parent needs to do what is best for his/her
own child. Each and every child is different. But, I would also
like respect for choosing to homeschool my own children. 
I don't think that parents are wrong for putting their children
in a public or private school. Please don't judge me for 
homeschooling mine. 

I took my son out of school for several reasons.
I felt that he could gain a better education at home then what
the school offered. I also wanted him to grow in Christ, and have 
a deep relationship with Him. I wanted him to enjoy his childhood
at home. And, I also homeschool him because his school, located 
in the country and surrounded by corn, does not consist 
of central air conditioning. The school has ceiling fans 
and windows for ventilation. This doesn't work well for my child
who has asthma and allergies. 

Everyone's child is different and unique.
Everyone has different reasons for homeschooling. 
Everyone has different reasons for putting their child
in a public or private school. But, ultimately, all parents 
are just doing what they feel is best for their own child. 

If you are considering homeschool, or you're just curious, 
you may ask me questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment