Monday, December 22, 2014

Star Spangled Banner

So, this morning I actually managed to get moving early which meant
that I had my hearing aids turned on at a decent hour too.
(Yes, I admit it, I walk around for a while with my aids in,
but not turned on. Well, you try going from almost complete sweet
silence to being bombarded with obnoxious sounds first thing
when you wake up.)

I was just sitting down to eat my bowl of oatmeal (with way more butter
and brown sugar then I needed), when I heard the quick alert go off over
the base speaker. It wasn't a warning alert, just a reminder that our
National Anthem would be playing in 5 minutes. I continued to eat my oatmeal.

Then, I heard the Star Spangled Banner come over the base speaker,
and I stopped eating my oatmeal. Since there was nobody around,
and I was sitting in our hotel room, I wasn't quite sure what to do.
So, I just sat, quietly, listening until it ended. Then, I heard the Japanese
National Anthem over the loud speaker. I waited again until it was finished.
Then, I continued to eat my morning mush.

I felt so proud when I heard "Our Song". I felt patriotism welling up inside
of myself. But, it also made me think about what was going on back home,
and it felt like a glaring contradiction. Racial tension. Police tension.
Selfishness about "My" rights.

Every. Single. Morning. They play the US and Japanese anthem. And, when they do,
a remarkable thing happens! Every single person who happens to be outside must
stop what they are doing, face the music, take off their hat, stand up straight,
and listen as the two anthems are played. And that's not all. If you happen to be
driving on base, you must stop your vehicle, put your flasher lights on, and wait
until the anthems are finished. I think that this is amazing.

Sure, it wouldn't be so fun to stand out there if it were pouring rain. And I'll even
admit that at the sound of the 5 minute warning, you see people racing to get
inside of a building so they don't have to stand outside. But, I'm still proud
of the fact that our anthem is played everyday on base, and that rain or shine,
we must be respectful during that time by staying still.

So, what does this have to do with what is going on back at home?
I wish we could play our National Anthem at sunrise every single
morning in our own country. In every town. Maybe I'm wrong. I probably
am wrong. But, I think it would make a difference. Maybe we would feel
more united as a country and not be so deeply embroiled in division
right now. Maybe we wouldn't be dealing with an old enemy...........
racial and police tension. Maybe if playing our National Anthem
everyday garnered a sense of community, then maybe respect
would flourish. Maybe tension would diminish. And I think that
we would all agree that would be a good thing.

Please pray for our officers who protect our country on
the home front, and for our military who protect our country
home and abroad. Please also pray for the families of both.
Thank-you!


"A house divided against itself cannot stand."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Who plan evil things in their hearts; 
They continually gather together for war."
~Psalm 140:2 (NKJV)

"A hot tempered person stirs up conflict, 
but the one who is patient calms a quarrel."
~Proverbs 15:18 (NIV)

"As charcoal is to burning coals, and wood to fire, 
so is a contentious man to kindle strife."
~Proverbs 26:24 (NKJV)




No comments:

Post a Comment