Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Gaijin in Japan

We've been in Japan for a total of 3 weeks now. 
It is fun, crazy, confusing, stressful, amazing. 
It is a mix of emotions while riding a wild roller coaster.

We don't quite fit in all the way. 
Husband isn't military, yet he works for them.
We're not nationals, but we try to use proper
etiquette and fit in as best we can. 
We're just hanging somewhere altogether different.
(But, I know about that all to well. You'll read about that 
in my next post.)

A Japanese national described her country in one word:
*Harmony*.  The Japanese folks strive for harmony among
each other. Personally, I'd describe it in one word as "OCD". 
I've never seen people so obsessed with the rule of things.
Code of dress. Time. Punctuality. Work ethic. It's nuts! 

And yet, I wish my own country would adopt some of their
common courtesies, rules and ethics. I know that the 
independent spirit is what made America great, but
sometimes I wish we were a little more "us", and a 
little less "me". 

I wish our dress code was what it used
to be and what it is in Japan today. Sure, 
everyone in Japan is wearing black and 50 
shades of gray, but you can walk down the street 
and you will not see "pants on the ground". 

And femininity is so alive in Japan. 
So many of the girls and women wear skirts 
and dresses. Maybe it's because it's part of their
school or work uniform. But, it is so lovely to see.
The issue of modesty is different in Japan then 
in America. It is immodest to wear a shirt or blouse
that is much below the collar bone. Yet, their skirts
can be quite high sometimes. But, it still seems to
be an improvement from "let it all hang out" as it
is in my own country. 

Do you know what is the status symbol in Japan?
A car? No. A house? Nope. It is their clothes. 
They dress impeccably. They always seem to match,
have it "all together". They look professional. You 
won't see ripped jeans, low cut blouses, short-shorts
with the pockets sticking out, cut-out tee shirts, 
underwear showing from wearing jeans way down
low. It isn't done. 

Now, when I do see a kid on the street with his 
underwear hanging over his jeans, it takes all that
I have not to walk over there and yank up his pants!
I feel embarrassed because he, like myself, are 
ambassadors of our country. But, I'm sure the 
nationals know by now that we don't all dress 
that way. (But it still gets under my skin.) 

These are just some of the things I've noticed 
in the short time that we've been here so far. 
You are welcome to follow along if you would
like. I'm sure there will be many more things
to come!

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Sweety! Looking forward to the next one. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an experience. I am sure it is as hard as it is exciting! God be with you as I am sure he is. P.S. please keep posting, love to read it!

    ReplyDelete