Sunday, September 4, 2011

Flip Flops in Heaven

I like flip flops. 
They're colorful. 
They're fun to wear.
Flip flops say, "relaxation, fun in the sun, sandy beaches, painted nails, 
and interesting places to go". 

But, they say something more to me. I often think about my mom's 
battle with leukemia. And, the poem, Footprints in the Sand comes to mind.
I picture Jesus, helping my mom along, as she struggled through each 
chemo appointment, through biopsies and port implants. 
Jesus, sitting by her side with his back leaned against the bathroom wall, 
as she spent days hovering over the bathroom toilet as sickness and poison 
spewed from her body. Jesus, kneeling by her bedside, watching over her sleeping body,
praying to His Father; asking Him to help my mom get through the hour, the day, 
the week, the next round of chemotherapy. 

I think about flip flops. 
And, I think about my mother, up in Heaven, walking along a beach, 
side by side with Jesus. Both of them wearing flip flops. 
His are worn leather. 
Hers are hot pink and purple.
They walk side by side along the beach, talking. About her life, how she lived, 
how she gave, and of course, she would have to brag about her grandchildren.

Yes, I do believe that when life got hard for her here on earth, He carried her. 
And, yes, I believe that they stroll along a beautiful beach unlike any on this earth.
And, I believe that when I go Home, after Jesus has talked to me about my life and 
how I spent it; my mom will be waiting for me, on a beach, 
with hot pink and purple flip flops. 
Heavenly flip flops.

No comments:

Post a Comment